Caring for Your Color-Treated Hair
September 30 2018
You just walked out of the salon with a new, gorgeous hair color – and you want it to last! Fortunately, it’s not difficult to keep your color-treated hair in great shape. Here are some top tips from the pros for keeping your hair looking soft and vibrant for months to come.
Most importantly, wait as long as possible to shampoo after coloring. Your stylist will give you guidelines, but generally this will be several days. This is a crucial step to let your color set properly; otherwise, some of your color may wash away.
When you do resume washing, do so less often. Daily shampooing is not recommended for anyone, since it tends to strip away your hair’s natural oils that keep it soft and hydrated. It’s doubly important for color-treated hair, as each wash may also strip away a small bit of color. In between washes, you can use a dry shampoo to keep your hair smelling and feeling fresh.
Another tip for washing – use less heat. Try to shower at a lower temperature, if possible. Heat can damage hair, and it’s important to protect color-treated locks. Avoid heated styling tools when possible, but if you must use them for your style, use a color protectant before styling. A leave-in conditioner prior to styling may also be helpful.
Hydration is critically important for maintaining your new color. Ask your stylist to recommend a good conditioning product and ask for advice about how often to condition. Regular deep conditioning treatments or leave-in products may be especially helpful for color-treated hair.
Finally, continue to visit your stylists for trims every six to eight weeks. Removing damaged split ends makes hair look healthier and helps to prevent additional breakage and splitting so your new color continues to look fabulous.
If you’re thinking of switching up your hair color for fall, make an appointment today at Utopia Salon & Day Spa. Our well-trained, professional stylists will help you choose the perfect color for you! You can find us at 510 North East Avenue in Vineland, New Jersey or call us at 856-794-9200 to schedule an appointment. Prefer to instantly schedule an appointment yourself? Download our free mobile app at the iTunes Store, on Google Play, or on Amazon.
- Hot Hair Colors of 2020
- Give the Gift or Relaxation with Utopia Salon & Day Spa Gifts Cards
- Keep Waxing Through the Winter for Healthy Skin
- Hair Extensions to Bring Holiday Glam
- Gorgeous Updos for the Holiday Season
- Make Spa Day a Family Affair
- Skin Peels for Soft, Smooth, Healthy Skin
- Hair Color Trends for Fall
- Try Our Free Mobile App for Instant Access to Utopia Salon & Day Spa
- Customizing Your Massage for the Ultimate Experience
- Benefits of Regular Waxing
- Tips for Building a Great Skincare Routine
- Say Goodbye to Frizz with Keratin Treatments
- Get Clear, Even-Toned, Younger Looking Skin with LED Photofacials
- How Professional, Monthly Facials Help Your Skin
- Get Beautiful, Shimmering Color with Hair Glossing
- Get Gorgeous, Well-Defined Lashes and Brows with Tinting
- Tips to Keep Your Hair Gorgeous Between Salon Visits
- Get Ready for Beach Weather Now with Waxing
- Get Gorgeous New Highlights for Spring with Balayage
- Relax Away Stress with Spa Treatments for Men
- Custom Spa Packages – the Perfect Gift for Special Occasions
- Book Instant Appointments and More on the Free Utopia Mobile App
- Professional Peels for a Customized Spa Facial
- Switch Up Your Style with Hair Extensions
- The Benefits of Professional Spa Manicures
- Fun Hair Color Ideas for 2019
- Pamper Yourself with Massage this Holiday Season
- Makeup Tips for the Colder Months Ahead
- Microdermabrasion for Smooth, Even Skin
- Weather Getting Cold? Keep Waxing!
- Instant Appointments and More on Our Free Mobile App!
- Caring for Your Color-Treated Hair
- Get Lush, Beautiful Lashes and Brows with Tinting
- Balayage: Highlights with Style
- Body Treatments for a Smooth, Slender You
- Professional Hair and Makeup for a Stress-Free Wedding
- Get Softer, Smoother Skin with Microdermabrasion
- Skin Peels: Effective Treatment for Damaged Skin
- Face It: The Incredible Benefits of Professional Facials
- Quick Summer Makeup Tips from the Pros
- Waxing – Show Off Your Legs This Summer
- Health Benefits of Professional Manicures and Pedicures
- Experience the Health Benefits of Massage